Network activities are designed to align with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) National Quality Strategy (NQS) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to improve the care of individuals with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
Network Quality Improvement Activities (QIAs)
CMS mandates that the Network shall incorporate a focus on disparities in conducting all of the activities. In each QIA, the Network shall analyze data and implement interventions aimed at reducing disparities.
All QIAs shall use innovative approaches and rapid cycle improvement that incorporates boundaryless, unconditional teamwork, customer-focus, and sustainability to achieve the strategic goals of the ESRD Network Program.
The Network is uniquely positioned to ensure full participation of the ESRD community in achieving the aims of the NQS.
These projects emphasize:
- Building Network relationships with ESRD patients
- Ensuring representation of ESRD patients in shared decision making related to ESRD care in order to promote person-centeredness and family engagement (NQS Principle 1)
- Protecting ESRD patients’ access to and quality of dialysis care, especially among vulnerable populations (NQS Principle 3)
- Building Network relationships with ESRD facilities (NQS Principle 4)
- Identifying opportunities for quality improvement at the individual facility level and providing technical assistance (NQS Principle 5)
- Promoting all modalities of care, including home modalities and transplantation to promote patient independence and improve clinical outcomes (NQS Principle 5)
- Facilitating processes to promote coordination between care settings (NQS Principle 8)
- Ensuring accurate, complete, consistent, and timely data collection, analysis, and reporting by facilities in accordance with national standards and the ESRD QIP (NQS Principle 6)